The cult of San Biagio is strongly linked to the presence of a Byzantine community near the Abraxia district of the old Comicio. The church dates back to the sixteenth century and was built on the ruins of an earlier Basilide church of the III° – IV° century. We know that the church had three naves with a central dome, but it was later destroyed by the 1693 earthquake that struck the Noto Valley. The church was finally rebuilt with a single nave in the eighteenth century.
The church stands at the end of an impressive staircase. The entrance portal dates back to the second half of the eighteenth century. It was made by local stonemasons of Comiso, who used the typical stones of the area to erect the building. The church’s bell tower is decorated with ceramics covered with enamel and a statue placed outside depicting the patron of the city dating back to 1736.
– Two canvas depicting Santa Teresa transverberata and The Glory of Jesus and Mary, made by Piertro Novelli and both taken from the ancient monastery of Regina Coeli;
– A Virgin Mary with a cherub and St. Francis (1714)
– The vault is depicted with scenes taken from the life of San Biagio, painted by Gaetano Di Stefano (from Chiaramonte) and Giuseppe La Leta from Comiso.
Progetto finanziato con risorse di cui al Progetto d'Eccellenza "Culto e cultura - Itinerari di turismo religioso" di cui alla L- 296/2006 art. 1 c. 1228.
TOURIST PACKAGE CONTRACT (Aut. Regione Sicilia N.3743/S. 7 Tur del 22.02.2017)