The church was called the Hospital because next to it was built the first public hospital of the city. Works started in the XVI century on request of the Naselli family. It was also called ‘U tùmminu, because it was equipped with a wheel used to drop abandoned babies off.
Abbot Vito Amico (1697-1762) in the LEXICON SICULUM (1757) writes that this church is dedicated to the Purification of Mary; however, considering the name and the fact that it was built near the hospital, we can likely say that the church could have been dedicated to Santa Maria della Misericordia (Holy Mary of Mercy).
The church of Mercy has been closed to worship since many years and was later used as a carpentry shop. Nowadays it is used as a deposit belonging to the mother church.
Fulvio Stanganelli wrote (clergyman Raffaele Fiaccavento) in his book “HISTORICAL EVENTS OF COMISO”
… it can be asserted that for its architectural characteristics and its position, being one of the first if not the first to be erected in the second half of the XIII century, it is the one formerly known as the “MERCY and then HOSPITAL, built in the oldest district of Comiso.
Progetto finanziato con risorse di cui al Progetto d'Eccellenza "Culto e cultura - Itinerari di turismo religioso" di cui alla L- 296/2006 art. 1 c. 1228.
TOURIST PACKAGE CONTRACT (Aut. Regione Sicilia N.3743/S. 7 Tur del 22.02.2017)