The Pagoda is a Buddhist temple and a symbol of peace. The Japanese monk Morishita consecrated the temple on 7 July 1997 after years of efforts. Indeed, during the Eighties the whole city of Comiso became quite famous among nonviolence movements as it housed a NATO base provided with nuclear weapons.
Eighty people came from all over Europe to demonstrate nonviolence against the base
And its nuclear warheads.
Nowadays, the military base is closed and the area has been turned into an international civil airport.
Events: The feast of flowers (also known as the Anniversary of Buddha’s birth) is celebrated on April and held during the first or the second Sunday of the month. While the first Sunday of July marks the celebration of the Feast for Peace or Anniversary of the Pagoda Construction in Comiso.
The Peace Pagoda Comiso is located on the Iblei mountains overlooking the plateau and the former Comiso military base.
It is 16 meters high with a diameter of 15 meters, it is entirely white-coloured with the round dome surmounted by a pinnacle.
The Pagoda of Comiso is the first (and so far the only) Buddhist pagoda in Italy and one of the few
made in Europe (there are only four pagoda in Europe, more or less eighty around the world).
Progetto finanziato con risorse di cui al Progetto d'Eccellenza "Culto e cultura - Itinerari di turismo religioso" di cui alla L- 296/2006 art. 1 c. 1228.
TOURIST PACKAGE CONTRACT (Aut. Regione Sicilia N.3743/S. 7 Tur del 22.02.2017)