The church of Montevergine, also known as San Girolamo was built between 1695 and 1697, to host the Cistercian sisters of Mount Virgin. The church is dedicated to San Girolamo, who was a famous clergyman and religious scholar.
The building design is attributed to Vincenzo Sinatra (1748). The church, with its concave façade and the two bell towers, keeps an interesting scenic aspect. The entrance door stands out on top of the staircase and it is flanked by six pilaster strips and two quadrangular columns. The church has a single nave, surrounded by Corinthian columns with a classic guise and topped by stucco decorations and bas-reliefs depicting several angels.
The church houses four precious paintings made by Carasi including The Marriage of the Virgin and The Piet
Progetto finanziato con risorse di cui al Progetto d'Eccellenza "Culto e cultura - Itinerari di turismo religioso" di cui alla L- 296/2006 art. 1 c. 1228.
TOURIST PACKAGE CONTRACT (Aut. Regione Sicilia N.3743/S. 7 Tur del 22.02.2017)