The church of Santissimo Crocifisso is located in the upper part of the city and it is the second biggest religious building preceded only by the gorgeous Noto’s cathedral.
The construction, designed by architect Rosario Gagliardi, dates back to 1715. The current church replaces the previous one which was destroyed after the 1693 earthquake.
The façade has two uncompleted orders and it is preceded by a short and linear staircase. At the main entrance sides there were lions of Roman origins, which are now kept inside the church.
The interior, with its three naves and a Latin cross plan, is surmounted by an impressive dome. The light comes in through a large windows placed in the central nave.
Highly remarkable is also the nineteenth century organ, which was built by Michele Polizzi of Modica.
The church contains many valuable artworks, which were mostly recovered from the ruins of the ancient city. The wooden reliquary cross, which has been located in the apse, is carved and gilded. Inside it there are fragments of the Crucifix painted on wood panel, which comes from the old church of the city and it is attributed to San Luca. The Cross was made in 1746 by Vincenzo Rotondo and designed by Gagliardi.
At the right side of the transept there is a chapel where we find the most important artworks: the white marble statue of the Madonna della Neve (also known as the White Lady) dating back to 1471 and sculpted by Francesco Laurana. This too comes from the old city of Noto. Another valuable sculpture is the XVI century wooden bust of Ecce Homo, made by an unknown author.
The church has also precious relics which are now particularly revered. Among them, a thorn taken from the Crown of Jesus, enclosed in a gold reliquary.
Progetto finanziato con risorse di cui al Progetto d'Eccellenza "Culto e cultura - Itinerari di turismo religioso" di cui alla L- 296/2006 art. 1 c. 1228.
TOURIST PACKAGE CONTRACT (Aut. Regione Sicilia N.3743/S. 7 Tur del 22.02.2017)